138: What Is A Coach and Should I Get One?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Have you ever thought about getting a coach? This week we discuss coaching and how you can be supported by having one in your life. You may also wonder exactly what coaching is and if you should get a coach. One thing for sure, a coach isn’t just someone who tells you what to do.
- Coaching focuses on the present and what can be done now.
- A common question is “how does coaching differ from traditional therapy?”
- Therapy often times is focused on the past and supporting people to overcome a psychological issue that may be undermining their ability to function well at least at a baseline level.
- Therapy relies on awareness of past experiences to bring about healing in the present, and coaching sheds light into unseen possibilities and strengths, thus linking awareness to action
- There are obvious overlaps
- Do you need a coach?
- What coaching is best for:
- Coaching is for healthy, functioning people who seek change in their lives that will result in greater fulfillment both personally and professionally.
- It is also for people who want to invest fully in their approach and accountability.
- Does it work?
- Studies show that coaching:
-Makes a significant impact on one’s overall life satisfaction”.
-Is an effective approach to goal attainment and personal development
-Helps clients become more effective by teaching them how to set concrete, measurable goals and break them down into manageable steps
-Is an effective strategy in which the collaborative efforts help the client identify and take action towards creating change in his life
-Asking challenging questions encourages the client to look for new ways of coming up with solutions and seems to be a key element in effective coaching
The Invitations to Mastery
- If you are on a growth edge and thinking of making any sort of leap in your life, get the support of a coach.
- And, get a referral from someone