137: 4 Ways to Lead with Positive Psychology
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
We are going to lead with Positive Psychology today and talk about 4 ways to do it. Let’s open with a quote from Peter Drucker. “Your first and foremost job as a leader is to take charge of your own energy, and then to help orchestrate the energy of those around you.”
- First, before we get into the 4 ways, we need to give a brief idea of what positive psychology is
- Positive psychology has an emphasis on what makes us thrive versus just survive.
- 4 specific ways to lead with positive psychology are the following: Foster connection, Focus on Strengths/autonomy, Appreciate the Positive, Manage the Meaning
- Foster connection-relationships at work matter. You can listen to even more on this if you go to Ep 40 and 64)
- And there are specific things you can do to foster those connections.
- 3 key skills of listening; listen for accuracy, listen for what the person wants and listen for the spot of agreement/intersection
- Focus on Strengths of each individual and individual autonomy-we are all unique little snowflakes
- Check out this website to learn more about your strengths and the strengths of your team. viacharacter.org
- Appreciate the positive…and the power of the negative
- Consciously create positive emotion….and not to avoid “negative” emotion or when something is non-preferred
- Manage the meaning-we do much better when we know the meaning that our work has in the world
Conclusion: Now What? The Invitations to Mastery
- What can you appreciate right now about a person on your team? Tell them.
- Know your strengths and appreciate them-how will you use them today? Let us know all about it!
Filed Under Podcast Episodes